MARCH 5 - Today in Food History
• Shrove Tuesday (March 5, 2019 - February or March)
• International Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday; March 5, 2019 - Can be Feb or March) [Day of the International Pancake Race, Liberal, Kansas]
- Paczki Day (Shrove Tuesday - March 5, 2019 - can be Feb or March). A day to enjoy these rich, sugar coated Polish pre-lenten pastries
• Celebration of School Nutrition Heroes (March 5, 2018) [School Nutrition Association] Annual event that recognizes the extraordinary men and women in the school nutrition profession who make a difference in the lives of school children and go beyond their daily responsibilities in making a significant contribution to their communities.
• Cheese Doodle Day
• National Absinthe Day (Absinthe Trivia & Facts)
• Iceland: Bursting Day (March 5, 2019) Feast on mutton and pea soup.
• Pancake Week (March 4-10, 2019 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• UK: [SPAM Appreciation Week] (March 5-11, 2018)
(Spam Facts & Trivia)
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 25-March 10, 2019) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• National School Breakfast Week (March 5-9, 2018)
[School Nutrition Association]
· Breakfast Recipes -- Breakfast Facts & Trivia
On this day in:
1512 Gerardus Mercator was born (died Dec 2, 1594). The Flemish cartographer who created a world map using what would become known as Mercator projection, with parallel lines of latitude and longitude. This was convenient for navigation but land masses appeared increasingly enlarged at the top and bottom.
1558 Francisco Fernandes supposedly introduced smoking tobacco to Europe.
1836 Charles Goodnight was born. He is said to have devised the first 'chuck wagon' from an Army wagon in the 1850s or 1860s, with various shelves and compartments for food, equipment, utensils, medical supplies, etc. (Chuck Wagon Facts & History)
1868 C.H. Gould of Birminghom, England patented a stapler. (Countless staplers have been patented).
1893 Emmett J. Culligan was born. He was the founder of the water treatment company that carries his name. (“Hey, Culligan Man!”)
1910 Momofuku Ando was born in Taiwan (died in Japan, Jan 5, 2007). Mr. Ando was the founder of Nissin Food Products, and invented 'Instant Ramen' noodles.
1936 'Mutiny on the Bounty' is voted 'Outstanding Production' (Best Picture) at the 8th Academy Awards. The story of the mutiny against Captain Bligh on the English ship 'Bounty' when it was sailing from Tahiti to bring back breadfruit trees. (Breadfruit Trivia & Facts)
1955 Fernand Point died (born 1897). Well known French Chef and restaurateur. His restaurant La Pyramide was considered by many to be the greatest in the world. Paul Bocuse, Louis Outhier, Alain Chapel and Jean and Pierre Troisgros all trained under Point, and he is considered to be the father of modern French Cuisine.
1963 Arthur 'Spud' Melin of Wham-O received a patent for the Hula-Hoop. A great exercise tool, first sold in 1958.
1965 ‘Pepper’ Martin, baseball player died.
1990 Eight Canadian flour mills are charged with rigging prices for food aid, amounting to $500 million over 12 years.
2000 The world's first cloned pigs (5 of them) were born in Virginia. They were produced by a Virginia subsidiary of the same Scotland company, PPL Therapeutics, that cloned Dolly the sheep.
(Pig Trivia & Facts)
2004 Martha Stewart, business magnate, cookbook author and TV personality, was convicted of obstructing justice and lying about a well timed stock sale just before the price plummeted.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website. For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected] All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2019 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted. All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only. Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright. Please take the time to request permission.
and COOKING CLASSES
From Amateur & Basic Cooking Classes to Professional Chef Training - Over 1,000 schools & classes listed for all 50 States, Online & Worldwide
FREE Food Magazines
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc. for qualified professionals
FoodReference.com (since 1999)
FOOD CALENDAR SECTION: Today in Food History, Timeline & Food Holidays: National Food Days, Weeks & Months