JULY 26 - Today in Food History
• National Coffee Milkshake Day (Shake Recipes)
• National Chili Dog Day 2018
(Coney Island Hot Dog Chili Recipe)
• National Refreshment Day (July 26, 2018 - 4th Thurs in July) [Traveler Beer Co.]
• National Bagelfest Day: Many websites list July 26 as National Bagelfest Day, but the original Bagelfest started by Murray Lender of Lender's Bagels in Mattoon, Ill. is celebrated July 17-21 in 2018..
(Bagel Trivia & Facts --- Bagel Tips)
• St. Anne, patron of broommakers, homemakers and housewives.
On this day in:
1775 The Second Continental Congress appointed Benjamin Franklin as the first Postmaster General.
1788 New York ratified the Constitution and became the 11th of the original 13 colonies to join together as the United States of America. (New York Food Trivia)
1856 George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright, was born. You will find many food related quotes from his works on the Food Reference Website. Quote: "There is no love sincerer than the love of food."
1866 Beatrix Potter was born. English author of children's books, her first and most famous story is 'The Tale of Peter Rabbit,' originally written as an illustrated letter to a sick child.
1922 Blake Edwards, American film director and producer. Among his films are 'Breakfast at Tiffany's,' 'Days of Wine and Roses,' and 'The Tamarind Seed.'
1926 Roquefort cheese is the first cheese designated with an appellation d'origine controlee. Only cheese that is processed in Roquefort, France and aged in the caves there may be called 'Roquefort Cheese.'
(Roquefort Cheese Trivia & Facts)
1989 Leslie Merry was hit with a turnip thrown from a passing vehicle in London. He was knocked down and suffered a broken rib and a ruptured spleen. He died of respiratory failure, due to the accident.
2004 William A. MItchell died (born Oct 21, 1911). American food chemist. While working for General Foods Corp. he invented Tang, Pop Rocks, Cool Whip, quick-set Jell-O, powdered egg whites, etc.