In 1835, Lord Marcus Sandys returned from India, and asked Lea and Perrins to prepare a sauce from a recipe he had brought back from India. Lea & Perrins thought the result was terrible. They sent the barrel they had made for themselves to the cellar.
About 2 years later while 'spring cleaning', they came across the wooden barrel, and decided to taste it again before throwing it out. They found that the sauce had mellowed, and was delicious. They purchased the recipe from Sandys, and began to sell it commercially in 1838.
During the WW II, vats of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce were stored at local pubs, causing angry scenes as locals assumed they were full of beer (which was unavailable at the time).