FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
RECIPE SECTION - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food_Trivia | Today_in_Food_History | Food_Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s_Who | Culinary_Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food_Poems | Free_Magazines | Food_Festivals & Shows
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
Recipe Videos, BBQ & Grilling, Food Safety, Food Science, Food Festivals, Beverages, Vintage Commercials, etc.
Use skim milk and lowfat cream cheese — and you can bake your cake and eat it too. A heart healthy recipe.
Yield: 16 servings
2 1/4 C cake flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp margarine
1 1/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp orange peel
3/4 C skim milk
3 oz lowfat cream cheese
2 Tbsp skim milk
6 Tbsp cocoa
2 C confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
To prepare cake:
1. Preheat oven to 325 °F.
2. Grease 10-inch round pan (at least 2 1/2 inches high) with small amount of cooking oil or use nonstick cooking oil spray. Powder pan with flour. Tap out excess flour.
3. Sift together flour and baking powder.
4. In separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
5. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
6. Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with milk, beginning and ending with flour.
7. Pour mixture into pan. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until done. Let cake cool for 5–10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely before icing.
To prepare icing:
1. Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth. Add cocoa. Blend well.
2. Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
3. Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
Serving size: 1 slice - Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 57 mg
Sodium: 273 mg
Total fiber: 1 g
Protein: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Potassium: 95 mg
National Institutes of Health www.nih.gov
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.