CARROT AND PINEAPPLE CAKE
The Essential Diabetes Cookbook
by Antony Thompson
This moist, luscious cake is a real treat, filled with carrots, nuts, and spices. It also freezes well.
Serves 8 to 10
• 1 lb whole wheat self-rising flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/2 cup dark muscovado sugar
• 1/2 cup light olive oil
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 3/4 carrots, grated
• 1/2 cup walnut pieces
• 3/4 cup raisins
• 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
• 9oz pineapple, crushed, in natural juice
• confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch spring-release pan and line its base with parchment paper.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well until evenly combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and level the surface. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for about 1 hour until risen and golden and a fine metal skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
4. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack until completely cold. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Amount per portion (serves 8): Energy 514 cals, Protein 10.9g, Fat 23.7g, Saturated fat 4.8g, Carbohydrate 68.6g, Total sugars 32.5g, Fiber 7.2g, Salt 0.41g, Sodium 163mg
Amount per portion (serves 10): Energy 412 cals, Protein 8.8g, Fat 19.1g, Saturated fat 3.8g, Carbohydrate 54.9g, Total sugars 26.0g, Fiber 5.8g, Salt 0.33g, Sodium 130mg