ROASTED EGGPLANT SALAD
The Sonoma Diet by Connie Guttersen
Prep: 40 Minutes
Stand: 20 Minutes
Bake: 20 Minutes, Oven: 400°f
Makes: 8 Servings
• Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
• 2 eggplants, peeled, if desired, and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices (about 2 1/2 pounds)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 cloves garlic, minced (1 teaspoon minced)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram or 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
• 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
• 1 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, drained and chopped
• 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
• 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 8 ounces whole fresh baby spinach leaves (8 cups)
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 ounce)
1. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Let stand for 20 minutes. Place eggplant slices in a colander; rinse with cold water and drain well. Pat dry with paper towels. Arrange on the same baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and the 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bake, uncovered, in a 400° oven about 15 minutes or just until tender, turning once. Cool slightly and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Meanwhile, in a 2-quart square baking dish combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1 tablespoon of the red wine vinegar, the water, marjoram, remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and the 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Add red onion slices; turn several times to coat. Bake, covered, in the 400° oven about 20 minutes or until tender, turning onion slices once. Cool slightly in dish on wire rack. Chop the onion, reserving any liquid in the dish.
3. In a large bowl combine eggplant, onion, roasted bell peppers, parsley leaves, capers, olives, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar.
4. Arrange spinach leaves on a large platter or on 8 serving plates. Top with eggplant mixture. Sprinkle with feta cheese and drizzle with reserved liquid from dish.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 97 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 3 mg chol., 270 mg sodium, 13 g carbo., 7 g fiber, 3 g pro.