FIELD SALAD WITH STRAWBERRIES, KUMQUATS AND ROSE PETALS
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Makes 8 servings.
Rose Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup honey
• 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
• 1 tablespoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Poppy Seed
• 1 tablespoon rose water
• 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Ground Mustard
• 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Gourmet Collection® Onion Powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 packages (3.5 ounces each) mâche or 1 package (6 ounces) spring mix salad greens
• 2 cups halved or quartered strawberries
• 1 cup sliced fresh kumquats or 1 jar (9.5 ounces) kumquats, drained, rinsed and sliced
• 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
• 24 Crystallized Rose Petals (recipe follows)
1. For Vinaigrette, mix all ingredients in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended.
2. Divide salad ingredients evenly among 8 salad plates. Drizzle vinaigrette over each salad. Garnish with Crystallized Rose Petals.
Crystallized Rose Petals:
Rinse 24 unbruised, pesticide-free rose petals. Let air dry completely on paper towels. Beat 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons meringue powder and 3 tablespoons water in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until mixed. Beat on high speed 4 to 5 minutes or until fluffy. Using tweezers to hold rose petal, brush a thin layer of meringue mixture on both sides of each rose petal with a small, soft paintbrush. Sprinkle both sides with granulated or superfine sugar. Let stand on wire racks for 24 hours. Store crystallized petals in airtight container between layers of wax paper. (Use leftover meringue mixture to crystallize additional rose petals for later use.)
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Rose water is available in the international aisle of some supermarkets, online specialty stores, or Middle Eastern markets.
• Meringue powder is made of pasteurized dried egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and cornstarch. It is used to prepare icings and meringue for pies and other desserts. It is available in the baking aisle of supermarkets, the cake decorating section of some craft stores, or online specialty stores.
Recipe from McCormick® - Spices & Seasonings