WHOLE CORN AND GREEN CHILI MUFFINS
King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking
by King Arthur Flour
These muffins demonstrate how easily whole grains can support savory recipes as well as sweet ones. Corn, cheese and chilies with a little bit of spice in the background create a memorable southwestern flair. The cheese and chilies on top make a lovely pastiche while they're baking. Bring these to the table with some tortilla soup and a salad, and supper's ready.
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Baking Temperature: 400°F
Baking Time: 20 minutes
• 1 cup (4 7/8 ounces) whole yellow cornmeal
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
• 3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce) sugar
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup (8 ounces) milk
• 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) corn oil ;
• 1 cup (5 3/4 ounces) frozen corn kernels, thawed
• 1 can (4 1/2 ounces) diced green chilies, well drained, divided
• 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a muffin tin or line with papers and coat the papers with nonstick spray.
Whisk together the cornmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and chili powder (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg with the milk and oil. Stir in the corn kernels and all but 2 tablespoons of the chilies. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until evenly moistened. Stir in 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.
Scoop the batter by heaping 1/4 -cupfuls into the prepared muffin pan, and sprinkle each muffin with 1 teaspoon of the remaining cheese and 1/2 teaspoon of the reserved chilies. Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling.
Nutrition Information Per Serving (1 Muffin, 85G): 18g whole grains, 223 cal, 13g fat, 6g protein, 21g complex carbohydrates, 2g sugar, 2g dietary fiber, 26mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 123mg potassium, 55RE vitamin A, 1mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 165mg calcium, 233mg phosphorus.