DOUBLE CHERRY PUMPKIN MUFFINS
Dried tart cherries are a flavorful swap-out for raisins in trusted muffin or quick bread recipes
Makes 12 muffins.
• 3 tablespoons chopped dried tart cherries
• 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
• 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon rum extract
• 1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup packed SPLENDA® sweetener & brown sugar blend
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup canned pumpkin (without added spices)
• 3/4 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup refrigerated pasteurized egg product
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-muffin tin with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons chopped cherries, the ginger, brown sugar, and rum extract. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together flour, Splenda®, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
In another small bowl, stir together pumpkin, buttermilk, egg product, butter, and vanilla.
Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in pumpkin mixture. Stir just until flour mixture is partially moistened. Add 2/3 cup cherries and stir just until moistened. (Do not over mix.)
Divide batter equally between the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle chopped cherry mixture evenly on muffins.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from pan and cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts per muffin: 173 calories, 5 g total fat, 3 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 28 g carbohydrate, 29 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 2 g fiber, 176 mg sodium; Daily Values: 70% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 6% calcium, 6% iron
For more cherry recipes and tips, visit www.choosecherries.com.