TEXAS STATE FAIR PECAN PIE
Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2008
Food & Wine Magazine
Active: 40 min
Total: 3 hr 30 min plus cooling
Makes one 10-inch pie
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 stick plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch dice
• 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
• 1½ cups pecan halves (5½ ounces)
• 1½ sticks cold unsalted butter
• 1½ cups dark brown sugar
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light corn syrup
• 3 tablespoons whole milk
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 4 large eggs
• Unsweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
MAKE THE PIE SHELL:
• In a food processor, pulse the flour with the sugar and salt. Add the butter and pulse until it is the size of small peas. Add the ice water and pulse until evenly moistened. Knead on a floured surface 2 or 3 times. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, 1 hour.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry 1/8 inch thick; transfer to a deep 10-inch glass pie plate and trim the overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold the edge under and crimp the edges. Prick the bottom with a fork. Freeze for 30 minutes.
• Line the shell with parchment and fill with pie weights. Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned at the edge. Remove the paper and weights and bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave the oven on.
MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FILLING:
• In a pie plate, toast the pecans for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
• In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, corn syrup, milk, flour, vanilla seeds and salt. Cook over moderate heat just until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
• In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Gradually whisk in the hot sugar mixture. Spread the pecans in the pie shell and pour the filling on top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the center is barely set and the crust is golden brown.
• Cool on a rack. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.