PECAN BOURBON PIE WITH BOURBON SAUCE
The Bounty Of Central Florida by Valerie Hart
A Southern favorite for the holidays.
Yield: This rich pie will serve 10
1 baked Short Pie Crust
3 extra large graded eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark Karo® syrup
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Valencia orange juice
2 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
1/4 cup unsalted, melted butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cups pecan pieces
1 cup pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Beat eggs with sugar on highest speed of an electric mixer until thick and light in color, approximately 6 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in Karo® syrup, salt, vanilla, orange Juice, bourbon and butter. Add flour. Fold in the pecan pieces by hand. Spoon mixture into the pre-baked crust. Place the pecan halves around the top in a pretty design.
3. Bake 10 minutes at 425°F. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. and bake 35 minutes more. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until very cold.
4. Accompany with Bourbon Sauce on the side.
Note: For a lighter pie, exchange the dark Karo9 syrup for light
Yield: 2 Cups
1 1/2 cups whole milk
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
3 extra large graded egg yolks
2 tablespoons, or more, bourbon whiskey
1. Bring the milk, 3 tablespoons of the sugar and salt to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring constantly.
2. Whisk yolks with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Slowly beat the hot mixture into the yolks. Pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan and stir over low heat until the custard coats a spoon. Stir in the bourbon and cook 1 minute longer. Do not allow mixture to boil. Cover and refrigerate.