ST. CLEMENTS PIE
A Canned Food Week UK recipe. Tiny tums Thursday, with SmallStepsOnline.co.uk. It can sometimes be a challenge getting your little ones to eat what you want them to, so why not get them to help out so you can all have fun in the kitchen and at the dinner table? The St Clements Pie is perfect for this, as not only can they help to bash the biscuit base, but it also gets them eating some of their 5-A-DAY, thanks to the canned oranges.
Serves: 6 - 8
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
For the base
· 75g butter
· 200g digestive biscuits
For the filling
· 2 eggs
· 400ml can of condensed milk
· Zest and juice of 2 oranges
· Zest and juice of 1 lemon
· 200ml half fat crème fraîche
· 411g can of orange segments in juice, drained, or canned mandarin oranges
• Preheat oven to fan 160°C, conventional 180°C, gas 4.
• Melt the butter in a pan. Place the biscuits in a polythene bag and crush with a rolling pin and add to the melted butter. Press the mixture into a 23cm flan or pie dish and chill whilst you prepare the filling.
• In a bowl beat together the eggs, add condensed milk and zest and juice of the oranges and lemon.
• Pour onto the biscuit base and then bake for 20 minutes or until the filling is firm.
• When cool spread top with crème fraîche and decorate with orange segments.
Hints and Tips
Try replacing the zest and juice of the oranges with lime to create a Key Lime Pie.
For another alternative replace digestive biscuits with ginger nuts.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
· Calories: 434
· Protein: 9.0g
· Carbs: 50.0g
· Sugars: 36.0g
· Fat: 23.0g
· Sat Fat: 13.0g
· Fibre: 1.0g
· Sodium: 308.0mg
Canned Food UK will be running the 2nd Canned Food Week April 14-20, 2014. (www.cannedfood.co.uk/cannedfoodweek)