PORK AND RICE STUFFED CABBAGE
Recipe from Weight Watchers All Time Favorites
Hands-On Prep: 20 Min
Cook: 1 Hr 15 Min
• 6 large green cabbage leaves
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
• 1 zucchini or yellow squash, finely chopped
• 3/4 pound ground lean pork
• 2 cups cooked brown rice
• 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350°P. Lightly spray a 7 x 11-inch baking dish with olive oil nonstick spray.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cabbage and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes; drain in a colander. Rinse under cold running water, then drain again. Trim the thick ribs from the base of the leaves; set the leaves aside.
3. Meanwhile, to make the filling, heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the zucchini or squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool 5 minutes. Add the pork, rice, egg whites, salt, and pepper; mix well.
4. Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the cabbage leaves on the work surface. Place a rounded 1/2 cupful of the filling in the center of each cabbage leaf. Fold the two sides of each leaf over the filling and roll up, jelly-roll style, starting at the base of the leaf. Place the rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish; pour the remaining tomato sauce on top. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a roll registers 160°F, about 50 minutes.
Food Note: If you don't have cooked brown rice handy, a speedy alternative is to cook 1 (5¼-ounce) package of boil-in-the-bag brown rice according to the package directions. Let the rice cool slightly before combining it with the remaining filling ingredients in step 3.
Per Serving (1 roll and about 1/2 cup sauce): 207 Cal, 5 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 32 mg Chol, 771 mg Sod, 25 g Carb, 4 g Fib, 16 g Prot, 53 mg Calc.
Points value: 4.