NECTARINE STRAWBERRY COBBLER
• 1/2 cup strawberry jam
• 1/3 cup apricot nectar
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 1/2 pounds firm-ripe nectarines (about 5 medium), halved, pitted, and thinly sliced
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Whisk together the jam, apricot nectar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a microwavable 9-inch deep-dish pie plate or casserole dish until blended. Add the nectarines and stir to coat well. Microwave on High, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to bubble, 6-7 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2- to 2-quart baking pan.
2. Meanwhile, to make the topping, whisk together the flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir just until a moist dough forms.
3. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the hot fruit, forming 6 mounds. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over the biscuits. Bake until the biscuits are golden and the fruit mixture is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
How We Did It: If you prefer to use peaches instead of nectarines, here's how to peel them: Plunge the peaches into boiling water just long enough to loosen their skins, which will take from I to 3 minutes. Immediately transfer the peaches to a bowl of ice water to cool them; when cool enough to handle, slip off the skins.
Nutrition Per Serving (1/6 of cobbler): 247 Cal, 4 g Fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 11 mg Chol, 167 mg Sod, 51 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 4 g Prot, 85 mg Calc.
Points value: 5.