Today in Food History
• National Apple Dumpling Day
(Apple Dumpling Recipes)
• National Monte Cristo Day ?
• National Farm Safety & Health Week (Sept 17-23, 2017) [Nat'l Education Ctr for Agricultural Safety]
• Canada: National Organic Week (Sept 16-24, 2017) The largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across Canada.
• Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight (Sept 2-17, 2017) A nationwide event which supports and promotes Scotland’s produce, and the people who grow, make, cook and sell it. (Food Festivals in Scotland)
On this day in:
1630 Boston, Massachusetts was founded. Nickname, 'Bean Town.' (Massachusetts Food Trivia & Facts)
1836 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu died. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
1872 Phillip Pratt of Massachusetts received the first U.S. patent (No. 131,370) for an automatic sprinkler system.
1899 Charles A. Pillsbury, flour magnate, died (born Dec 3, 1842). Flour Trivia and Facts
1900 Hotelier John Willard Marriott was born. Beginning with Hot Shoppe restaurants, then airline catering, and then motels, Marriott built his business into one of the largest, fastest growing, and most profitable hotel and restaurant businesses in the U.S.
1909 Peter Barr died (born April 20, 1826). Scottish horticulturist popularly known as the “Daffodil King” for his work studying and popularizing this spring flower.
1968 Joseph ‘Joe’ Bastianich was born. Restaurateur, winemaker and author. He is also a judge on TV cooking shows MasterChef and MasterChef Junior.
1997 'Honey' by Mariah Carey is #1 on the charts.
1999 The movie 'Breakfast of Champions' opened in U.S. theatres.
2002 Elizabeth Coblentz died (born July 18, 1936). Syndicated Amish cooking columnist and cookbook author (The Amish Cook, The Amish Cook Cookbook, An Amish Christmas, etc.).