Today in Food History
• National Apple Dumpling Day
(Apple Dumpling Recipes)
• National Monte Cristo Day (Monte Cristo Trivia)
• International Housekeepers Week / Environmental Services Week (Sept 11-17, 2022 - 2nd full week) [International Executive Housekeepers Assn]
• [Folic Acid Awareness Week] (Sept 11-17, 2022)
• Biscuits and Gravy Week (Sept 11-17, 2022 - 2nd full week in Sept) (Biscuits & Gravy Article & Recipe)
(Biscuit History --- Biscuit Quotes)
• Canada: [National Organic Week] (Sept 12-18, 2022) The largest annual celebration of organic food, farming and products across Canada.
• UK: [Sustainable Seafood Week] (Sept - 16-23, 2022) Marine Stewardship Council.
• UK: [British Food Fortnight] (Sept 17-Oct 2, 2022)
On this day in:
1836 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu died. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
1872 Phillip Pratt of Massachusetts received the first U.S. patent (No. 131,370) for an automatic sprinkler system.
1899 Charles A. Pillsbury, flour magnate, died (born Dec 3, 1842). (Flour Trivia and Facts)
1900 Hotelier John Willard Marriott was born. Beginning with Hot Shoppe restaurants, then airline catering, and then motels, Marriott built his business into one of the largest, fastest growing, and most profitable hotel and restaurant businesses in the U.S.
1909 Peter Barr died (born April 20, 1826). Scottish horticulturist popularly known as the “Daffodil King” for his work studying and popularizing this spring flower.
1968 Joseph ‘Joe’ Bastianich was born. Restaurateur, winemaker and author. He is also a judge on TV cooking shows MasterChef and MasterChef Junior.
1997 'Honey' by Mariah Carey is #1 on the charts.
1999 The movie 'Breakfast of Champions' opened in U.S. theatres.
2002 Elizabeth Coblentz died (born July 18, 1936). Syndicated Amish cooking columnist and cookbook author (The Amish Cook, The Amish Cook Cookbook, An Amish Christmas, etc.).