Today in Food History
• Eat a Hoagie Day
• National Bakery Day (Sept 14, 2018)
[Retail Bakers of America]
• National Cream-filled Donut Day (Donut Trivia)
• Feast of Notburga of Eben, patron of waiters, waitresses and farmers.
• International Housekeepers Week (Sept 10-16, 2017 - 2nd full week) [Int’l Executive Housekeepers Assoc.]
• Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight (Sept 2-17, 2017) A nationwide event which supports and promotes Scotland’s produce, and the people who grow, make, cook and sell it. (Food Festivals in Scotland)
On this day in:
1716 The first lighthouse in America was lighted on Little Brewster Island, marking the entrance to the Boston, Massachusetts harbor.
1752 Yesterday was September 2, 1752.
1849 Ivan Petrovich Pavlov was born. Pavlov's work with dogs actually started as a study of digestion. He theorized that digestion was controlled in part by sensory inputs of sight, smell and taste - and as he discovered, sound; 'conditioned reflex.'
1917 Joyce chen was born (died Aug 23, 1994). Chinese American Chef, restaurateur, author. She is credited with popularizing northern-style Chinese cuisine in the U.S. Cookbook: The Joyce Chen Cook Book (1962). PBS TV show: 'Joyce Chen Cooks' (1967).
1960 OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) was formed by Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
1965 'My Mother the Car' premiered on NBC TV.
1976 'Play That Funky Music' by Wild Cherry is #1 on the charts
1989 Marvin P. Middlemark died (born Sept 16, 1919). American inventor, he invented the 'Rabbit Ear' TV antenna in 1953 in Rego Park (Queens), New York, and among other minor inventions, a water powered potato peeler.
2006 The U.S. FDA reported an outbreak of E. coli 0157:H7. Fresh spinach is the suspected cause of the outbreak and consumers nationwide were advised not to eat bagged spinach. Eventually more than 200 people were sickened in 22 states and several deaths were reported.
2009 Keith Floyd died (born Dec 28, 1943). British celebrity chef, restaurateur, cookbook author and cooking show host.
2010 The World Conservation Society reported that fewer than 3,500 wild tigers exist in the world today.