Today in Food History
• National Pasta Day
(Pasta Trivia -- Pasta Recipes -- Pasta Cooking Tips)
• International Raw Milk Cheese Appreciation Day (2020 is October 17) An international celebration of raw-milk cheese and the individuals who bring it to life from the pasture to the plate. [Oldways Cheese Coalition]
• International Archaeology Day (Oct 17, 2020 - 3rd Saturday) [Archaeological Inst. of America]
• Sweetest Day (Oct 17, 2020 - 3rd Sat) share sweets with those you care about (Primarily in Midwest and Northeast). [Wikipedia]
• St. Richard Gwyn, patron of large families.
• UK: Seed Gathering Season (Sept 22-Oct 22, 2020)
[The Tree Council] Gather seeds, fruits and nuts which can be nurtured to grow the trees of the future.
On this day in:
1671 The first auction of furs from Hudson Bay took place at Garroway's Coffee House in London, England.
1814 At the Horseshoe Brewery in London the metal bands on a huge beer brewing vat snapped and a tidal wave of 3,555 barrels of Porter beer crashed through the brewery walls, destroying several tenements, and killing 8 people. (See also The Molasses Flood, Jan 15, 1919)
1937 Donald Duck's three nephews, Huey, Dewey and Louie, first appeared in the newspaper comic strip.
1946 Jim Tucker of the music group 'The Turtles' was born.
1963 'Sugar Shack' by Jimmy Gilmer & Fireballs is #1 on the charts.
1977 The Guinness Book of World Records notes that Peter Dowdeswell managed to eat 40 sandwiches in 17 minutes, 53.9 seconds at a California donut shop on October 17, 1977. Each sandwich was 6 X 3 inches, spread with jam and butter.
2000 'Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavored Water' Limp Bizkit's 3rd studio album was released. and debuted at number 1 on the charts.
2006 The U.S. population reached 300 million.
2008 'The Secret Life of Bees' opened in U.S. theatres.