NOVEMBER 4 - Today in Food History
• Did you remember to turn your clocks back?
U.S., Canada & Mexico Daylight Saving Time ends (Mar 11 - Nov 4, 2018) [Time Trivia & Facts]
• Learn to Homebrew Day (Nov 4, 2017) [American Homebrewers Association (AHA)] Learn to Homebrew Day was established to encourage people to homebrew
• National Bison Day (Nov 4, 2017)
[Senate Resolution passed Oct 28, 2015]
• National Candy Day (Candy Trivia & Facts)
• St. Charles Borromeo, patron of apple orchards.
• UK: [British Sausage Week] (Oct 29-Nov 4, 2018)
(Tips for Making Sausage at Home)
• National Fig Week (Nov 1-7, 2017) [Fig Trivia]
On this day in:
1873 Anthony Iske was issued a patent for a meat slicing machine. It worked much like a mandoline, with a frame to hold the meat while sliding it against the blade.
1879 James and John Ritty invented the first cash register. They came up with the idea to prevent bartenders from stealing at the Pony House Restaurant in Dayton, Ohio.
1879 African-American inventor, Thomas Elkins received a patent for a refrigerating machine, which could be used to cool food (or even human corpses according to the patent application).
1879 Thomas Edison applied for a patent for electric lamps giving light by incandescence. (Patent No. 223,898, granted Jan 27, 1880).
1916 Ruth Handler was born (died April 27, 2002). Creator of the Barbie Doll (1959) and co-founder of the Mattel company in 1942.
1922 The entrance to the tomb of King Tutankhamen was discovered in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.
1923 Alfred Heineken was born. Grandson of Gerard Adriaan Heineken, the founder of Heineken Brewery. He was president of the company from 1964 to 1989.
2005 The animated movie 'Chicken Little' premiered.