MAY 30 - Today in Food History
• Memorial Day (last Mon - May 30, 2016) Pay tribute to the U.S. men and women who died during military service.
• National Mint Julep Day (Mint Julep Origins)
(Mint Julep Recipes)
• Feast of Walstan, patron of farmers.
• UK: National BBQ Week - May 30-June 5, 2016
(BBQ Articles & Recipes -- Barbecue Trivia & Facts)
• UK: English Wine Week (May 28-June 5, 2016)
[English Wine Producers]
• International Pickle Week (May 20-30, 2016 [10 days]) Observed for more than 50 years, it is one of the longest running food promotions (Pickle Trivia -- Pickle Recipes)
On this day in:
1783 The first daily American newspaper was published in Philadelphia, 'The Pennsylvania Evening Post'
1848 William Young of Baltimore, Maryland received a patent for an improved ice cream freezer.
(Ice Cream Trivia & Facts -- Ice Cream Recipes)
1879 William K. Vanderbilt acquired 'Gilmore's Garden' in New York City and renamed it 'Madison Square Garden.'
1899 George Cook patented an automatic fishing device.
1908 Mel Blanc (Melvin Jerome Blanc) was born. Blanc was a voice actor for Warner Bros. (and other) cartoon characters. Some of the characters he 'voiced' include Bugs Bunny, Tweety Bird, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck and Sylvester the Cat.
1918 Bob Evans was born (died June 21, 2007). Sausage maker and restaurateur, founder of Bob Evans Restaurants (Bob Evans Farms, Inc).
1926 James McLamore was born (died Aug 9, 1996). Co-founder, with David Edgerton, of Burger King.
(Burger King Trivia & Facts)
1942 'Tangerine' by Jimmy Dorsey was #1 on the music charts.
1970 Detroit Tigers outfielders Al Kaline and Jim Northrup collided while attempting to catch a line drive. Al Kaline lay in the grass choking and gasping for air - he had swallowed his tongue! After an overnight stay in the hospital he was back in the lineup.
1994 Baron Marcel Bich died. French inventor of the Bic Pen in 1949. (Pens are handy for writing recipes and menus).
2003 The Concorde supersonic airliner made its final scheduled flight from Paris to New York as Air France took the Concords out of service. On May 31 the Concorde made its last return trip to France.