MARCH 18 - Today in Food History
- National Oatmeal Cookie Day
- National Poison Prevention Week (March 17-23, 2013)
- National Agriculture Week (March 17-23, 2013)
- American Chocolate Week (March 18-23, 2013)
- National FFA Week (Future Farmers of America) March 15-22, 2014
On this day in:
1845 Most accepted date given for John Chapman’s, 'Johnny Appleseed' death. An American pioneer and legend, he planted apple seeds in the Ohio River valley area - Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. (Date is variously given as March 10, 11 or 18)
1863 Women rioted in Salisbury, North Carolina, to protest the lack of flour and salt in the Confederacy.
1925 'Tea for Two' was recorded by Binnie Hale & the Palace Theater Orchestra.
1946 The Andrews Sisters recorded 'Avocado' today.
1966 Gossip columnist Hedda Hopper died.
Quote: "Having only friends [and no enemies] would be dull....like eating eggs without salt."