FEBRUARY 29 - Today in Food History
• Surf and Turf Day
• World Sword Swallower's Day (Feb 29, 2020 -last Sat)
[Sword Swallowers Assoc. Int'l]
• National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend:
[Girl Scouts of America] (Feb 28-March 1, 2020)
• [National 30 Hour Famine] (Feb 28-29, 2020 and April 24-25, 2020) Students in the U.S. and around the world unite to learn about hunger, raise funds to help the hungry, and then go hungry themselves for 30 hours!
• [National Eating Disorders Awareness Week] (Feb 24-March 1, 2020)
• National FFA Week: Feb 22-29, 2020 [Future Farmers of America] Week of Washington's Birthday, from Saturday to Saturday encompassing February 22
• Pancake Week (Feb 24-March 1, 2020 - Week of Shrove Tuesday - can be Feb or March)
· Pancake Recipes · Cooking Tips · Facts & Trivia
• [National Invasive Species Awareness Week] (Feb 24-28, 2020) Raise awareness and identify solutions to invasive species issues at local, state, tribal, regional, international and national levels.
• UK: [Fairtrade Fortnight] (Feb 24-March 8, 2020) Celebrate the people who grow our food, people who live in some of the poorest countries in the world and who are often exploited and badly paid.
• UK: [Real Bread Week] (Feb 22-March 1, 2020) A celebration of additive-free loaves and the people who make them.
On this day in:
1692 Three women are arrested and accused as being witches in the village of Salem in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
1736 Ann Lee, founder of the Shakers was born 2/29/1736. To commemorate her birthday, each year on March 1 the Shakers held an afternoon meeting, followed by a supper at which this cake was served. The original recipe advises, “Cut a handful of peach twigs which are filled with sap at this season of the year. Clip the ends and bruise them and beat the cake batter with them. This will impart a delicate peach flavor to the cake.” ‘American Heritage Cookbook’ (1964)
1808 Hugh Falconer was born (died Jan 31, 1865). Scottish botanist and paleontologist. After investigations, he successfully recommended that tea production be introduced to India.
1904 'Pepper' Martin, baseball player was born.
1960 The first Playboy Club opened in Chicago at 116 E. Walton Street, in downtown Chicago.
2004 British actress Dana Broccoli died. Widow of Albert Broccoli, producer of the 'James Bond' movies.