FEBRUARY 18 - Today in Food History
• National Drink Wine Day
(Wine Articles --- Wine Quotes)
• Eat Ice Cream for Breakfast Day: To honor all children who have fought or who are fighting a battle with cancer.
(See also Ice Cream for Breakfast Day 1st Sat in Feb)
• Crab Stuffed Flounder Day
(Flounder Facts & Tips -- Flounder Recipes)
• National FFA Week: Feb 18-25, 2023 [Future Farmers of America] Week of Washington's Birthday, from Saturday to Saturday encompassing February 22
• Jell-O Week (Feb 12-18, 2023 2nd full week in Feb) in 2001 Jell-O was declared Official State Snack of Utah and Utah Governor Michael O. Leavitt declared an annual "Jell-O Week." (Jello Trivia --- Jello Quotes)
• Kraut and Frankfurter Week ? (Feb 12-18, 2023)
• UK: [Real Bread Week] (Feb 18-26, 2023) A celebration of additive-free loaves and the people who make them.
On this day in:
1478 George Plantagenet, duke of Clarence died. Brother of Edward IV whom he was accused of plotting against. He was thrown into prison and secretly executed in the Tower of London. The rumor is that he was drowned in a butt (large cask) of malmsey wine.
1626 Francesco Redi was born (died March 1, 1697). He was the first to demonstrate that maggots were not spontaneously generated, but actually came from the eggs of flies.
1871 Harry Brearley was born. Brearley was an English metallurgist who invented stainless steel in 1913.
1885 The 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' by Mark Twain was published.
1930 At the St. Louis International Air Exposition, a Guernsey cow named 'Elm Farm Ollie' became the first cow to fly in an airplane, and the first cow to be milked while flying.
1930 The planet Pluto was discovered by Clyde William Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona.
1937 'Black Blizzard' dust storms peril crops and health in Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico.
1950 John Hughes was born (died Aug 11, 2009). Film director and screenwriter. 'The Breakfast Club' (1985); 'Home Alone' (1990); 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' (1987).
1968 Actress Molly Ringwald was born. Two of her movies were 'The Breakfast Club' (1985) and 'In the Weeds' (2000).
1973 The 'King Biscuit Flower Hour' rock concert radio show debuted. (See also Nov 21, 1941 'King Biscuit Time')
1979 Low altitude areas of the Sahara desert recorded their first snowfall in living memory.
2005 A ban on Fox Hunting with dogs became effective in England and Wales.