Today in Food History
• National Banana Split Day (The banana split was supposedly invented in 1904 at Strickler's Drug Store in Pennsylvania).
• National Whiskey Sour Day
• World Kitchen Garden Day (Aug 25, 2019 - 4th Sun in Aug) An opportunity for people around the world to gather in their gardens with friends, family, and members of their local community to celebrate the multiple pleasures and benefits of home-grown, hand-made foods. (Gardening Articles)
• Feast of St. Louis IX, patron of distillers.
• [World Water Week] (Aug 25-30, 2019) World Water Week is organised by the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) and takes place in Stockholm, Sweden. It has been the annual focal point for the globe’s water issues since 1991. (Water Trivia & Facts)
On this day in:
1718 New Orleans was founded by French colonists. The city was named for Philippe II, Duke of Orléans, who was Regent of France at the time.
(Louisiana Food Trivia & Facts)
1810 Peter Durand was granted the first patent for preserving food in tin cans, English patent No. 3372. (A similar method developed earlier by Nicolas Appert in France used only glass containers). Durand worked only with tin cans, although his patent mentions glass, pottery, tin or other metals.
(History of Canned Foods)
1840 Joseph Gibbons of Adrian, Michigan received a patent for a 'Grain Drill,' the first practical seeding machine.
1906 Max Eyth died (born May 6, 1836). German engineer and inventor working with agricultural machinery in England and Germany. He founded the German Agricultural Society (1884).
1910 Arnold Neustadter was born (died April 17, 1996). Inventor of the Rolodex rotating card file.
1916 The U.S. National Park Service was created as an agency of the Department of the Interior.
1935 Curtis Fletcher Marbut died. American geologist and one of the founders of modern soil science. He was with the U.S. Bureau of Soils for 25 years.
1936 Ralph W. Kerr receives U.S. patent No. 2,052,308 for Odorless Cornstarch. It will not turn rancid, and will remain odorless for a long period of time.
(Cornstarch Cooking Tips)
1949 'Father Knows Best' debuted on NBC radio, sponsored by General Foods. The show moved to television in 1954.
1958 Momofuku Ando, founder of Nissin Foods, markets the first precooked instant noodles (Chikin Ramen).
1959 Golden Grain Macaroni Corp. registered ‘Rice-A-Roni’ trademark (first used 1957).
1968 Rachael Ray was born. American celebrity chef, cookbook author and cooking show host (Rachael Ray; 30 Minute Meals; etc.). [Website: www.rachaelray.com/]
2001 In Oslo, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway married former waitress Mette-Marit.
2006 The movies 'Beerfest' and 'How to Eat Fried Worms' opened in U.S. theatres.