After baking, these spicy cookies have a crackly and sugary top. Serve them with ice cream, fresh fruit, sorbet or coffee.
Prep: 15 min - Bake: 10 to 12 min per sheet
About 4 Dozen Cookies
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 3/4 cup shortening
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1 large egg
• 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Granulated sugar
*If using self-rising flour, decrease baking soda to 1 teaspoon and omit salt.
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet with shortening or spray with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening, molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar.
3. Shape dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls. Dip tops into granulated sugar. On cookie sheet, place balls, sugared sides up, about 3 inches apart.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until set. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
1 COOKIE: Cal. 75 (Cal. From Fat 25); Fat 3g (Sat. Fat 1g); Chol. 5mg; Sodium 70mg; Carbs.11g (Fiber 0g); Pro. 1g
% DAILY VALUE: Vit. A 0%; Vit. C 0%; Calc. 0%; Iron 2%
EXCHANGES: 1 Other Carb., 1/2 Fat
CARB. CHOICES: 1