CHERRY BRUNCH PIE
Makes 6 servings.
• 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
• 1 can (16 ounces) tart cherries, drained and coarsely chopped
• 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
• 1 cup buttermilk baking mix
• 1 teaspoon dried basil
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
• 4 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1½ cups milk
Cook sausage in a large skillet until brown, breaking into small pieces as it cooks; drain off fat.
Remove from heat. Add cherries; mix well. Spoon sausage mixture into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. Top with cheese.
Combine baking mix, basil, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl; mix well. Add eggs and milk; beat until smooth. Pour over cheese.
Bake in a preheated 400 oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve immediately.
Note: If desired, 1½ cups frozen unsweetened tart cherries can be substituted for canned cherries. Partly thaw cherries, then coarsely chop them before adding to sausage.
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute - www.cherrymkt.org/