Fix-It And Enjoy-It! Healthy CookbookPhyllis Pellman Good
Recipe: Deborah Heatwole, Waynesboro, GAMakes
6 servingsPrep. Time:
5-10 minutes Cooking Time:
30 minutes Standing Time:
• 1½ cups uncooked pearl barley
• 3 cups water
• 1 tsp. canola oil
• 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
• 1/2 cup raisins
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• brown sugar, optional, not included in nutritional analyses
• skim milk, optional, not included in analyses
1. Toast barley in dry heavy saucepan over medium heat about 5 minutes. Stir continually.
2. Carefully pour in 3 cups water, being careful not to steam yourself.
3. Reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, lightly toast nuts in oil in another skillet or saucepan. Stir continually.
5. When barley finishes cooking, mix nuts, raisins, and salt into it, stirring well.
6. Cover and cook 5 minutes more.
7. Remove lid. Cover pan with a folded towel and then put lid back on.
8. Remove from heat. Let stand 5-10 minutes.
9. Serve with brown sugar and milk if you wish.
Calories 257, Protein 5g, Carbohydrates 49g. Total Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 0.4g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.5g, Polyunsaturated Fat 3.1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 200mg, Fiber 9g