GRILLED CAULIFLOWER STEAKS WITH TAHINI SAUCE
by Sur La Table
From each head of cauliflower, you can cut two thick "steaks," slicing from top to bottom near the center to yield a pair of slices each held together by the core. The resulting "steaks," seared on the grill, make a head-turning presentation with a creamy tahini sauce. Use any leftover sauce on grilled vegetables, fish, or roasted beets.
• 1/4 cup tahini, stirred well to blend
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
• Kosher or sea salt
• 2 medium cauliflowers
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Prepare a moderate charcoal fire for indirect grilling or preheat a gas grill to medium (375°F), leaving one burner unlit.
2. To make the tahini sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, 1/4 cup water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice until smooth. Whisk in the garlic cilantro, and salt to taste. Taste and adjust with more lemon juice, if desired.
3. Trim each cauliflower, removing any leaves and cutting the stem flush with the base. Set a cauliflower, cut side down, on a cutting board. With a chef's knife cut two "steaks," each about 3/4 inch thick from the center of the cauliflower, so that the core holds each slice together. Repeat with the second cauliflower. Reserve the remaining cauliflower for another use.
4. Put the four cauliflower steaks on a tray and brush one side with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the steaks over, brush the second side, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Place the steaks over indirect heat, cover the grill, and cook, turning once, until tender when pierced, about 15 minutes total. For the final minute or so of cooking, uncover the grill and move the cauliflower directly over the coals or flame to char it slightly.
6. Transfer the steaks to a platter and drizzle with the tahini sauce; you may not need it all. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot or warm.