CAULIFLOWER MASHED "POTATOES"
Whether you're watching your carbs or trying to lose weight, or if you simply love hot, creamy comfort food, this recipe is calling your name. It's very popular among my clients (and staff nutritionists!) and 1 serving provides only 78 calories and 9 grams of carbs.
Makes 4 servings, ¾ cup each
• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets of roughly the same size
• ¾ cup low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth
• 1 tablespoon cornstarch
• 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon paprika
• Ground black pepper
1. Steam the cauliflower over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Drain. Place the cauliflower in a food processor or blender along with ½ cup broth. Puree on high until smooth. Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan.
2. In a cup, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining ¼ cup broth, and add to the cauliflower puree. Add the cream cheese, Romano or Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes, until the puree begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
78 calories, 8 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 2.8 g total sugar, 1 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 262 mg sodium, 3 g fiber
Exchanges - 1 very lean meat, 2 vegetables
Reprinted from: Joy Bauer's Food Cures: Treat Common Health Concerns, Look Younger & Live Longer by Joy Bauer, MS, RD, CDN with Carol Svec. Copyright © 2007 Joy Bauer, MS, RD, CDN. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc., Emmaus, PA 18098. Available wherever books are sold or directly from the publisher by calling at (800) 848-4735.