BOSTON BROWN BREAD
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook:
Slow-Cooker Favorites to Include Everyone! by Phyllis Good
Jean Butzer, Batavia, NY
Makes 21 servings (3 loaves)
(Ideal slow cooker size: 6-quart)
3 16-oz. vegetable cans, cleaned and emptied
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup low-fat buttermilk*
1/3 cup molasses
1. Spray insides of vegetable cans, and one side of 3 6"-square pieces of foil, with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Combine rye flour, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
4. Whisk together buttermilk and molasses. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Spoon into prepared cans.
5. Place one piece of foil, greased side down, on top of each can. Secure foil with rubberbands or cotton string. Place upright in slow cooker.
6. Pour boiling water into slow cooker to come halfway up sides of cans. (Make sure foil tops do not touch boiling water).
7. Cover cooker. Cook on Low 4 hours, or until skewer inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
8. To remove bread, lay cans on their sides. Roll and tap gently on all sides until bread releases. Cool completely on wire racks.
9. Serve with butter or cream cheese and bowls of soup.
* To substitute for buttermilk, pour 1 Tbsp. lemon juice into 1-cup measure. Add enough milk to fill the cup. Let stand 5 minutes before mixing with molasses.
Exchange list Values: Carbohydrate 1.0, Fat 0.5
Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 85 (Calories from Fat 20), Total Fat 2 gm (Saturated Fat 0.2 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.4 gm, Monounsat Fat 0.3 gm, Cholesterol 0 mg), Sodium 158 mg.Total Carbohydrate 16 gm, Dietary Fiber 2 gm, Sugars 8 gm, Protein 2 gm