Celebrity Chefs Inspire Sandwich Enthusiasts with Sensational Recipes
September 20, 2006
Sara Lee and nationally renowned chefs unveiled their personal favorite sandwich recipes this summer.
INSIDE OUT BAVARIAN OVEN ROASTED HONEY HAM PANINI
Created by Rick Tramonto, Chef and Owner, Cenitare Restaurants, Chicago
Sara Lee Deli Roll
Sara Lee Cranberry Mustard
Lightly Caramelized Onions
1. Using a Sara Lee Deli Roll, we will flip the bun inside out and smother it with Sara Lee Cranberry Mustard, Muenster Cheese, Lightly Caramelized Onions and watercress.
2. Slather the exterior of the bun (which used to be the inside) with room temperature whole butter.
3. Assemble the sandwich so the cheese acts as a blanket for the ham and the cress.
4. Press the sammie under the panini grill until somewhat flattened and ooey gooey.
5. Eat warm.
SARA LEE HAM AND PEACHES ON POTATO BREAD
Created by Susan Goss, Chef and Owner, West Town Tavern, Chicago
2 slices Sara Lee Country Potato Bread
2 tablespoons Sara Lee Brown Sugar and Pecan Mustard
2 leaves Bibb lettuce
2 slices Sara Lee Longhorn Colby Cheese
½ ripe peach, thinly sliced
6 slices Sara Lee Honey Cured Ham
1. Spread Brown Sugar Pecan Mustard on 1 side of each slice of Country Potato Bread.
2. Layer Bibb lettuce leaves over mustard on 1 slice of bread.
3. Layer Longhorn Colby Cheese over Bibb lettuce leaves
4. Cover cheese with sliced peaches
5. Cover peaches with Honey Cured Ham
6. Close sandwich with the other slice of bread
CLUB SANDWICH WITH SARA LEE CRACKED PEPPER BREAST OF TURKEY
Jean-Robert de Cavel, Chef de Cuisine and Owner, Jean-Robert at Pigall’s, Cincinnati
3 slices Whole Grain or White Bread
2 slices Sara Lee Cracked Pepper Breast of Turkey
2 slices Mozzarella Cheese
4 large leafs Basil
2 large slices Tomatoes, ripe
2 thin slices Avocado, ripe
2 thin slices Red Onion
3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Basil Puree (olive oil and basil)
1 tablespoon Reduced Balsamic Vinegar
2 tablespoons French Vinaigrette
Toast bread (optional)
1. Add basil puree to mayonnaise and spread on 3 slices of bread
2. On 2 slices place Sara Lee Cracked Pepper Breast of Turkey
3. Top with tomato slices, avocados and red onion
4. Add French vinaigrette and reduced balsamic vinegar
5. Finish with Sara Lee Mozzarella slices and 2 leafs of basil on each one.
6. Stack the 3 slices of bread. Press lightly. Cut into triangles, add toothpicks. Place on plate with the outsides down.
MUFFALETTA SANDWICH RECIPE
Created by Chris Dupont, Chef and Owner, Café Dupont, Birmingham, AL
6oz. Sliced Ham
6oz. Sliced Corned Beef
8 oz. Sliced Provolone Cheese
6 oz. Muenster cheese
Olive Salad spread
1 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 cup pimiento stuffed green olives
1 cup Greek olives, pitted and sliced
3 tablespoons Fresh Chopped Parsley
3 cloves garlic minced
½ cup roasted red peppers sliced thinly
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cracked pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl
1. Layer meats and cheeses on sliced French bread
2. Spread the olive salad on top.
THE HERO OF PENSACOLA
Created by Irv Miller, Chef and Owner, Jackson’s Restaurant, Pensacola
Makes 12-2-inch or 6-4-inch portions
1 Baguette (24-inches)
2-3 oz. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ lb. Sara Lee Beef Pastrami Pre-Sliced
½ lb. Sara Lee Hardwood Smoked Breast of Turkey Pre-Sliced
½ lb. Sara Lee Virginia Baked Ham Pre-Sliced
½ lb. Sarah Lee Smoked Provolone
2 Fresh Red Sweet Peppers
15 Fresh Large Sweet Basil Leaves
FIVE FLAGS RELISH:
1/3 cup Kalamata Olives, pitted and sliced into crescent lengths
1/3 cup green Spanish olives, pitted and sliced into crescent lengths
1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes, steeped in water, strained and small diced
2 tablespoons shallots, small diced
4 tablespoons French or Spanish extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1. Preheat open grill to medium-high. Place red peppers over open heat. Let sit 3 minutes on each side and turn frequently to char all over. When peppers are mostly black, remove them from the grill and place them in a one-gallon zip lock bag. Place in refrigerator and let cool completely. Remove them from the bag and lay each pepper flat on a cutting surface. Use a small knife to slice each pepper open and scrape out seeds to discard. Turn over and scrape to remove and discard the charred skins. Slice each roasted pepper in half and set aside.
2. Cover cutting surface with a full sheet of parchment paper. Place baguette flat and lengthwise on paper, and then slice in half lengthwise being careful not cut through the back. Leave a hinge, so the bread can be spread open flat.
3. Liberally drizzle the extra virgin olive oil over the entire length of the cut bread.
4. In a small mixing bowl combine the relish ingredients, then spread over the entire length of the bottom side cut bread.
5. Begin shingling the meats for the entire bottom length of the loaf, letting each slice overlap by one third. Repeat for each type of meat then add the cheese.
6. Lay roasted peppers side by side to cover the cheese, and then repeat with the fresh basil leaves to top off.
7. Fold the top half of the baguette over the entire sandwich. Press firmly and apply constant pressure to wrap bottom parchment paper tightly around sandwich and seal with tape to keep from unraveling or wrap over parchment paper with clear wrap to seal tightly. Lay wrapped sandwich between two baking pans and press evenly with the weight of a heavy-duty pot or several bricks. Chill for a minimum of 1 hour. Before unwrapping, use a serrated knife to slice into desired lengths. Place each slice on a plate, remove the paper and serve.
THE SAVVY SMOKEHOUSE HAM AND CHEESE
Created by Corbin Evans, Executive Chef, The Savvy Gourmet, New Orleans
1 ½ oz. sliced Sara Lee Smokehouse Ham
1 ½ oz. sliced Sara Lee Golden Roast Breast of Chicken
2 slices Muenster Cheese
Country Dijon Mustard
2 slices Country Potato Bread
1. Spread avocado puree evenly on one slice of bread
2. Spread mustard on other slice
3. Layer Ham, then Muenster, then Chicken
4. Top with mustard bread slice