Peter Halferty Interview:
$1,000 Finalist Winner (Cold Sandwich Category)
Mezzetta's Best Sandwich Recipe Contest
(My Banh Mi Chick Recipe, Cold Category)
• How did you feel when you found out you won the contest?
[Peter:] I was really thrilled!
• How did you come up with the idea for the winning sandwich?
We love the combination of Asian and spicy...I had eaten a pork Banh Mi and thought some chicken would work well with the Mezzetta Products and it did!!
• Have you ever won a cooking contest before?
Yes, my wife got me interested in competing, and I have fun trying out new tasty recipes. Winning is really special!
• Why do you think gourmet sandwiches are becoming such a trend?
They are easy to prepare and the possibilities are limitless so one of them would appeal to someone. Also, they pack well and can be taken on outings or to sporting events.
• How long have you been using Mezzetta products? Which are your favorites?
Since the 1950’s…My favorites are the pickled veggies, olives and olive oil.
• Where do you shop for Mezzetta products?
HEB Market, Whole Foods and Wal Mart Superstore.
• Any plans yet for the prize money?
It will really come in handy and I will have to give it some thought.
• Age? (You can make this an approximation!)
Old, but young at heart!
• Married? Involved? Children? Pets? Names?
Been married half a century. Four adult children (two girls and two boys) , three adorable grand daughters…We have five parrots.
• How long a resident of Corpus Christi?
We are displaced Seattlelites, and have lived in Corpus 11 years now, on the Intra-coastal waterway.
• Other hobbies, passions, pastimes?
I love to boat and fish, and to work in my shop.
• Anything else you would like to add?
Live each day to its fullest…and thanks for choosing my recipe!