GRILLED ZUCCHINI ROLL UPS WITH HERBS AND CHEESE
These bite-sized morsels are just the thing to add a touch of simple elegance to a meal. They are absolutely beautiful, with tender spinach and basil leaves peeking out of delicate grilled zucchini rolls filled with creamy herbed goat cheese. These are ideal for a special picnic or an hors d'oeuvre at a cocktail party. When served atop a basic green salad, they turn it into something to celebrate.
Makes 16 Roll-Ups
Serving Size 4 Rolls
• 3 small zucchini (about 1/2 pound each), cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
• Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
• 1 1/2 ounces fresh goat cheese, preferably reduced-fat
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 2 ounces baby spinach leaves (2 cups lightly packed)
• 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
Discard the outermost slices of zucchini and brush the rest with the oil on both sides. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side. You can make the grilled zucchini a day ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, parsley, and lemon juice, mashing them together with a fork.
Put 1/2 teaspoon of the cheese mixture about 1/2 inch from the end of a zucchini slice. Top with a few spinach leaves and one small or half of a large basil leaf. Roll up and place seam side down on a platter. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices. You can make these up to a day before you are ready to serve and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.