FoodReference.com (Since 1999)
Recipe Section - Over 10,000 Recipes
Home | Articles | Food Trivia | Today in Food History | Food Timeline | RECIPES | Cooking_Tips | Food_Videos | Food_Quotes | Who’s Who | Culinary Schools & Tours | Food_Trivia_Quizzes | Food Poems | Free Magazines | Food Festivals & Events
and other Publications
An extensive selection of free food, beverage & agricultural magazines, e-books, etc.
The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook by Steve Brill
Here's an unusual delicate-flavored wine that is equally good in main courses, side dishes, and desserts.
MAKES 1 1/8 Gallons (1 Gallon & 2 Cups)
6 cups sugar
1 gallon boiling water
4 cups mulberries of your choice
Juice of 2 lemons
3 tablespoons chopped fresh wild spearmint or other mint leaves or 1 tablespoon dried
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon champagne yeast or other wine yeast
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water in a non-metal (plastic or ceramic) food container, add the mulberries, mashing them slightly with a hand blender or potato masher, and add the lemon juice, mint, and cinnamon sticks.
2. When the mixture is lukewarm, stir in the yeast and cover the container with a non-airtight cover, cheesecloth, or towel.
3. Let the mixture ferment for 7 to 10 days at room temperature, stirring twice a day.
4. Strain the mixture through cheesecloth, transfer the liquid to a jug, and seal the jug with an airlock stopper (which lets carbon dioxide bubbles escape but keeps oxygen out).
5. When the bubbling stops and fermentation ends a couple of weeks later, seal the jug with a cork and let the wine age for 10 weeks to 6 months before using it.
6. Siphon the wine to get rid of the sediment if desired.
Please feel free to link to any pages of FoodReference.com from your website.
For permission to use any of this content please E-mail: [email protected]
All contents are copyright © 1990 - 2020 James T. Ehler and www.FoodReference.com unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. You may copy and use portions of this website for non-commercial, personal use only.
Any other use of these materials without prior written authorization is not very nice and violates the copyright.
Please take the time to request permission.