MULLED WINE WITH CITRUS
No matter what your price point, our wine department will advise you on the perfect wine for this recipe.
Makes 6+ servings.
• 750-ml bottle dry red wine
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
• 2 lemons cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
• 1 orange cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
• 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
• 20 whole cloves
• 1 tsp. whole allspice berries
In a large saucepan combine the wine, sugar, juice, lemon rounds, orange rounds, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice. Cook covered over low heat for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend (being sure not to boil). When ready to serve, ladle hot wine into mugs and enjoy.
How to Do It ...Place the cinnamon stick pieces, cloves, and whole allspice berries into a cheesecloth tied with twine or a tea-infuser ball, making them easier to get out when the mixture is ready to serve.