VENISON, ROAST VENISON
The Silver Spoon, Phaidon Press
• 1 leg or haunch of venison
• 3½ ounces pancetta, cut into thin strips
• 3/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing
• 2 1/4 cups dry white wine
• 1 fresh thyme sprig, chopped
• 1 fresh summer savory sprig, chopped
• 1 fresh oregano sprig, chopped
• salt and pepper
Make small incisions in the meat and insert the strips of pancetta.
Combine the olive oil, wine and herbs in a dish, season with salt and pepper and add the meat.
Cover and let marinate in a cool place overnight.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Generously brush a roasting pan with oil.
Drain the leg of venison, reserving the marinade, place it in the roasting pan and roast for 10 minutes.
Pour the reserved marinade into the pan, lower the temperature to 350°F and roast, basting frequently, for about 30 minutes.
This will result in slightly rare venison.
If you prefer it well done, roast for a further 10 minutes, but do not overcook or it will become tough.
Remove the venison from the roasting pan and carve, then place the slices on a warm serving dish and spoon the cooking juices over them.