Makes 5 - 6 servings
• 1 Florida venison loin or pieces or ham, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 10 whole cloves garlic, peeled
• 5 - 6 red potatoes, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
• 8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
• 1 medium onion, cut into 1" cubes
• 1 cup chopped tomatoes
• 1 cup beef or chicken broth
• 2 teaspoons oregano leaves
• 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
• salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in nonstick skillet; when hot add whole garlic cloves stirring often until garlic is deep golden brown.
Remove with slotted spoon and add potatoes; cook over medium heat until potatoes are brown.
Remove potatoes and place them in a greased casserole dish.
Add mushrooms and onions and browned garlic to pan, cooking until onions are soft.
Add tomatoes, broth and seasonings.
Remove onion mixture and combine in casserole with potatoes.
Increase heat to high and add seasoned venison cubes
Cook until venison is brown; remove to casserole.
Cover and cook for 45 minutes.
Serve with yellow rice.
Calories: 524, Protein: 59gm, Carbohydrates: 40gm, Total fat: 14gm, Saturated fat: 4 gm, Cholesterol: 140mg
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services