SMOKED VENISON LEG
Serves 10 - 12
· 1 gallon water
· 1 cup salt
· 1/2 cup soy sauce
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 1 whole Florida venison leg, bottom round or sirloin butt
· 1/4 cup brown sugar
· 1/2 cup paprika
· 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
· 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
· 2 tablespoons dried basil leaves
· 2 tablespoons ground cumin
· 1 tablespoon coriander
· 1 tablespoon black pepper
· 1 tablespoon salt
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil
Combine water, salt, soy sauce and sugar, stirring until salt is dissolved. Immerse venison leg in liquid and refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Depending on the size of the leg this mixture may need to be doubled.
Combine all remaining ingredients except olive oil. Remove venison from liquid; pat dry. Rub roast with olive oil then with spice mixture applying as much as possible to make a thick coating.
Prepare smoker with hickory or other hard wood. Smoke slowly for 2 - 4 hours depending on size of roast. Cook until medium rare. Remove from smoker and slice thin. Serve with mustard, horseradish sauce or chutney.
Fresh From Florida Cook Book - www.florida-agriculture.com/