TOMATO AND POTATO CASSEROLE
Yield: 4 To 6 Servings
Layers of potatoes simmer gently between layers of tomatoes in this aromatic main dish. The semolina helps to thicken the juice thrown off by the tomatoes, leaving a broth with lots of body and flavor.
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons semolina
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
• 4 large Florida tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/8-inch thick
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 6 to 8 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, very thinly sliced
• 1 small onion, minced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and butter a deep 10-inch round casserole or gratin dish.
In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese, semolina, and oregano and set aside.
To assemble, put a layer of tomatoes in the bottom of the casserole, Salt and pepper lightly, then cover with about 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan mixture.
Put a layer of slightly overlapping potatoes on top of the tomatoes.
Salt and pepper lightly and sprinkle with minced onion.
Continue this layering, ending with the tomatoes and cheese mixture.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake for about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours, until the potatoes are tender. Uncover, then let the dish sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Florida Tomato Commission