SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH GOAT CHEESE RECIPE
Torta di Patate con Formaggio Caprino
(Scalloped Potatoes with Goat Cheese)
The goat cheese adds intense flavor and creaminess to these rich, gorgeous potatoes. You could use Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese or fontina instead, but if you like goat cheese as much as I do, make these as written.
~ 1 quart heavy cream
~ 1 quart chicken stock
~ 1½ cups dry white wine
~ 1 cup minced shallots
~ 2 tablespoons minced garlic
~ 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
~ 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
~ ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
~ 8 ounces goat cheese
~ 6 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
~ Snipped fresh chives
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large, shallow baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a large pot, mix the cream, stock, wine, shallots, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and then add 4 ounces of goat cheese. Whisk until smooth. Refrigerate the remaining goat cheese.
3. Slice the potatoes as thinly as you can with a sharp knife, about 1/8 inch thick. If you have a mandoline, use it, but do not slice the potatoes paper thin, just very thin. As you cut a few slices, drop them into a bowl filled with cold tap water to keep them from discoloring.
4. Add the sliced potatoes to the pot, bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat, and simmer until warmed through.
5. Transfer the potatoes and the sauce to the lined pan, spreading them evenly in a 3-inch layer. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 50 minutes longer, until the potatoes are very tender and the sauce is bubbling.
6. Dot the potatoes with 4 ounces of goat cheese and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the goat cheese melts. Let the potatoes cool for about 15 minutes before serving, garnished with the snipped chives.