SIZZLED SCALLOPS WITH CILANTRO & CHIVES
Sizzle, Sensational Barbecue Food
by Julie Biuso
Some people enjoy the orange-colored coral (roe) attached to the scallop, but if that's not your custom, slice it off by all means. The scallops can be coated in the butter mixture a few hours before cooking (just keep them covered and refrigerated), then they're ready to fling on the grill when it suits you.
Serves 4 as a starter
• 1/3 cup (about 70g) butter
• 2 small cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro (fresh coriander leaves)
• 1 Tbsp snipped chives
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 14 ounces (about 400g) scallops, rinsed and patted dry
• 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, skinned
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
• 1/3 cup (75ml) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 3 cups loosely packed lamb's lettuce (also known as corn salad or mache) or use mixed baby salad greens
• 2 plain English muffins, split, or 8 slices from a baguette (French bread)
1. In a small bowl mix together half the butter with the garlic and set aside.
2. In another bowl mix remaining butter with the herbs. Add a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Gently melt butter; don't allow it to get too hot or it will start to cook the scallops. Add scallops and turn to coat with butter. Set aside, refrigerated, for 1-2 hours.
3. Halve tomatoes, discard cores and flick out seeds. Dice flesh and set aside.
4. Cook scallops over high heat on a barbecue hot plate (cast-iron griddle) for a few minutes on each side, sprinkling with ground coriander seeds as they cook, until browned and just cooked through.
5. Mix together oil and lemon juice with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some black pepper. Wash lamb's lettuce, discarding any small roots, then dry in a salad spinner or with a clean tea towel. Put greens in a bowl, add dressing and toss lightly. Add diced tomatoes and toss again lightly. Toast muffins or baguette slices, spread with the garlic butter and divide between four plates. Top with a handful of salad, then several scallops. Serve immediately.