MEATBALLS WITH ROOT BEER BBQ SAUCE RECIPE
Recipe from Robin to the Rescue
I grew up drinking root beer, and I still adore throwing one back with my dad! So, I thought, why not make a sauce with my favorite beverage? The meatballs and sauce are excellent over mashed potatoes with Green Beans on the side.
Total Time: 20-25 minutes
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Active cooking time:
• 1¼ pounds lean ground beef
• 2 teaspoons salt-free garlic-and-herb seasoning
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
ROOT BEER BBQ SAUCE
• One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
• One 12-ounce can or bottle root beer
• 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 2 teaspoons chili powder
• 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• Dash of hot sauce
1. In a large bowl, combine the beef, garlic-and-herb seasoning, salt, and pepper. Mix well and shape into 16 to 20 meatballs, each 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients, then add to the meatballs and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Make it a meal kit: Shape the meatballs, combine (don't cook) the sauce ingredients, and store them separately in scalable containers or plastic bags for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. When ready to finish the meal, brown the meatballs, then add the premixed sauce and cook as directed.
Bank a batch: Make a double batch of the entire meal and store the extra for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave for 4 to 6 minutes on LOW. Reheat in a large saucepan or in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes on HIGH.