LIME IN THE COCONUT PIE
Karen Harris and Kevin Harris; Castle Rock, Colo. Winner in the 2005 Crisco® All-American Pie Recipe Contest. The All-American Pie Recipe Contest recognizes home bakers around the country for their culinary skills and dedication to the tradition of pie making. It also celebrates Crisco's role in creating delicious homemade pies and baked goods for generations. The winners compete with other bakers from around the country in the American Pie Council/Crisco National Pie Championships for the grand prize and national pie making title. For more information about the Great American Pie Festival and National Pie Championships, visit www.piecouncil.org
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup whole wheat flour, sifted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening
4 tablespoons ice water
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
4 tablespoons frozen limeade concentrate, thawed
1 cup whole milk
1 package vanilla flavor instant pudding (3.4 ounces)
2 teaspoons coconut flavoring
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped and divided
1 cup whipped cream
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lime zest for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In large bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
3. Cut in Crisco with pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas.
4. Sprinkle water one tablespoon at a time over flour mixture and gently blend with fork until mixture is moistened.
5. Form into a ball.
6. Place on floured surface and roll out into 1/8-inch thick circle.
7. Gently fold pastry in half and place in 9-inch pie plate.
8. Crimp edges and prick bottom and sides with fork.
9. Bake in 400° F oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely before filling.
1. In small bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, sifted powdered sugar, and limeade; blend well and set aside.
2. In large bowl, mix together milk and instant pudding; blend well with wire whisk until mixture begins to thicken, approximately 2 minutes. Add coconut flavoring and mix well.
3. In large bowl, whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold in one cup of whipped cream to pudding mixture. Set aside.
5. Fold remaining 1/2 cup of whipped cream into lime/cheese mixture.
1. In large bowl, whip heavy whipping cream with sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
1. Spread pudding mixture evenly over bottom of cooled pie crust.
2. Gently spread lime/cheese mixture over pudding layer.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight if possible.
4. Top pie with whipped cream, sprinkle with lime zest, and serve.