LATKES, SWEET POTATO LATKES
Divine Kosher Cuisine: Catering to Family and Friendsby Rise' Routenberg, Barbara Wasser
These pancakes are exotically flavored with ginger and allspice. To ensure even cooking, don't crowd the latkes in the skillet.
Pareve Or DairyYield 12 To 16 LatkesIngredients
• 4 1/2 cups peeled and shredded sweet potatoes or yams
• 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
• 1/2 cup flour (use 1/3 cup matzoh meal for Passover)
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1 teaspoon salt to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger or cloves
• Vegetable oil for frying
• Applesauce and/or nondairy sour cream for pareve (use sour cream for dairy)Directions
Combine potatoes with eggs, flour or matzoh meal, sugar, salt, pepper and spices.2.
Drop mixture by heaping spoonfuls into hot oil in large skillet, turning once after first side is browned. Drain on brown paper or paper towels.3.
Serve with applesauce and sour cream or nondairy sour cream.How to Freeze and Reheat Latkes
Stand latkes up in freezable container and cover with foil or plastic wrap.2.
To reheat, place latkes in single layer on cookie sheet and bake at 375°F