POTATO PANCAKES WITH BACON AND LINGONBERRIES
The Scandinavian Kitchen
by Camilla Plum
A Nordic, and maybe more interesting, version of American pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. Good for breakfast or lunch.
Makes 10 large pancakes
• 6 medium potatoes, unpeeled, coarsely grated
• 1 egg
• 1-2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• A few fresh thyme leaves
• A little ground mace
• Sea salt and ground pepper
• 15 very thick slices of bacon
• Butter, for frying
• 1¼--1¾ cups raw lingonberry jam or raw sugared lingonbemes
Mix together the batter ingredients. Fry the bacon slowly in butter until crispy and done then keep warm.
Fry the pancakes in butter taking care to stir the batter well between making each pancake. Fry at a low heat so that they cook through while also crisping up on the outside. Flip over only once when the pancake is set. Make sure there is enough fat in the skillet or the pancakes will burn.
Serve the pancakes with the bacon and jam.