POTATO PANCAKES W/CHANTERELLES, WALNUT & BASIL OIL
Yield: 15 to 18 pancakes
Idaho Potato Pancakes
Potato Pancake Ingredients
• 1 pound Idaho® potatoes, peeled
• 1 1/2 tablespoon flour
• 1 tablespoon sour cream
• 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated or finely shredded
• 2 eggs
• 1 egg yolk
• 1/4 cup chopped chives
• sea salt
• ground white pepper
1. Cook potatoes in simmering water until soft. Drain and pass through a fine mesh strainer or chinois. Add to a bowl along with the remaining ingredients, mixing well until egg is completely incorporated.
2. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until the oil begins to smoke. Add about two tablespoons of pancake mixture to the pan for each pancake and spread out to approximately 3-inches wide. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. Keep warm.
For each serving:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, trimmed of tough stems
• 1 teaspoon thinly sliced garlic slivers
• sea salt
• freshly ground black pepper
• 3 3-inch Idaho potato pancakes (recipe above)
• 1 ounce baby salad greens
• 2 to 3 teaspoons basil oil
• 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped, toasted
• basil for garnish
• cracked black pepper mixed with pink peppercorns for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat until oil is very hot. Add chanterelles and stir continually until they start to turn slightly brown on the edges. Add garlic and season with sea salt and ground black pepper, cooking for a few seconds.
2. To serve, place three warm potato pancakes on a plate. Add chanterelles and baby greens to a mixing bowl, toss and pile the mixture on top of potato pancakes. Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with walnuts. Garnish with a basil sprig. Dust plate with a 1/4 -inch by 4-inch line of cracked black pepper mixed with pink peppercorns. Serve immediately.
Idaho Potato Commission: www.idahopotato.com
Brooke Vosika, Executive Chef, Four Seasons Hotel, New York City