CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK PIE
Semi-Homemade Cooking 2 by Sandra Lee
servings 8 to 10
prep time 15 minutes
baking time 1 hour 15 minutes
I first tasted this deep-dish delight at Bubba's Barbeque in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, where locals and tourists alike wait in line For a slice of this little piece of heaven. It was so amazing, I went back in the kitchen and watched them make it, then brought the recipe home. A silky blend of chocolate and vanilla paired with a punch of buttermilk, this old-fashioned Favorite is about as homegrown as it gets. IF you want to go all out, top each piece with a fluffy cloud oF whipped cream dusted with cocoa.
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels, Nestle®
1 1/2 cups sugar, C&H®
1/4 cup all-purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract, McCormick®
1 premade deep-dish piecrust (9-inch)
Frozen whipped topping, thawed, Cool Whip®
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Position a rack in center of oven.
2. Place the chocolate chips in a double boiler; melt over low heat, stirring constantly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the sugar mixture and beat with an electric mixer or whisk vigorously until well combined. Stir the melted chocolate into the batter.
4. Pour batter into piecrust. (You will have about 1 cup of batter left over.) If desired, pour leftover batter into a 10- to 12-ounce buttered ramekin, custard cup, or other small baking dish.
5. Bake pie for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 25 minutes (and ramekin of leftover batter for 40 to 50 minutes) or until the pie is crisp on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out with just a bit of moist chocolate on it.
6. Remove pie from oven and cool on a cooling rack. If not eating immediately, refrigerate pie. Let refrigerated pie stand at least 1 hour at room temperature before serving. Garnish with whipped topping just before serving.
Tip: For a from scratch whipped topping flavor, simply doctor Cool Whip® with vanilla extract.