BISON (BUFFALO) STROGANOFF
Mustard Seed Market & Cafe Natural Foods Cookbook
Bison, with its sweet, rich flavor, does a stand-in for beef in our version of this classic comfort food.
Makes 4+ servings
• 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
• 2 medium leeks, white part only, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 1½ cups white button, shiitake, or cremini mushrooms, quartered
• 1½ tbsp. unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1½ cups beef broth
• 3 tbsp. tomato paste
• 1/2 cup sour cream, low fat or regular
• 2½ lb. bison sirloin steak, cut into 2¼ in. strips
• 1½ lb. wide noodles, cooked
Melt 2 tbsp. of the butter in a large saute pan and saute the leeks until tender. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute until mushrooms release their juices and are softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
Melt 2 tbsp. of the butter in a medium saucepan then add the flour, whisking until smooth. Add the broth and tomato paste and continue to whisk until mixture is hot and thickened; stir in the sour cream and continue to cook just until heated through.
Melt remaining butter in a large skillet and quickly saute the bison. Combine all ingredients and spoon atop hot, cooked noodles.
About. . .Bison meat is surprisingly tender, with a taste resembling beef. It is extremely lean, so use caution and do not overcook.