BAKED CLAMS CASINO
Welcome to Michael's by Michael McCarty
"Clams Casino!" is one of my favorite Michaelisms, something I yell when I feel like I'm living the high life. This recipe never goes out of fashion; it is just too, too good. Perfect for serving on the deck with a glass of white wine or around the holidays with martinis.
• 5 tablespoons salted butter
• 2 cloves roasted garlic
• 1½ tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 dozen littleneck clams, well scrubbed
• 6 tablespoons julienned crisp bacon (about 6 slices)
• 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
Combine the butter, garlic, parsley, thyme, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Process until blended, then scrape from the bowl into a clean container. Set aside.
Preheat the broiler.
Shuck the clams and place them on the half shell.
Line a large baking pan with loosely crumpled aluminum foil. Nestle the clams into the foil so that they will stay flat and anchored.
Spoon about a teaspoon of the lemon-herb butter on top of each clam. Sprinkle each with an equal portion of the bacon, followed by the bread crumbs. Place under the preheated broiler about 6 inches from the heat and broil until the bread crumbs are golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Remove from the broiler and serve.