ASIAN GRILLED TOFU STEAKS
Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
by Neal Barnard and Robyn Webb
Tofu readily takes up the flavors that are added to it, as you will see with this delicious marinade. Tofu provides high-quality protein, and has no cholesterol.
• 2 (1-pound) blocks extra-firm low-fat tofu
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon dry sherry
• 1 tablespoon agave nectar
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot
• Vegetable oil cooking spray
• 20 wooden skewers, soaked for 1 hour in warm water
• 1/4 cup sliced scallions, for garnish
1. Wrap blocks of tofu in two layers of paper towels. Place tofu on a plate. Place another plate on top and then place a weight on the top plate (a heavy pan will do). Press for about 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Remove paper towels from tofu and drain all excess water. Pat the tofu dry. Slice tofu into 3/4-inch slices.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together broth, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sherry, agave nectar, garlic, ginger, and orange zest. Whisk well. Arrange tofu in a shallow baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu and marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Turn tofu slices about halfway through the soaking time.
4. Remove tofu from baking dish and set on a large cutting board. Place marinade in a saucepan and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine arrowroot with 2 teaspoons water and mix well. Add to marinade and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Set aside. Coat an outdoor grill well with cooking spray and set the temperature to high heat.
5. Using two skewers per slice of torn spaced evenly, slide the skewers through the tofu, with only the tips of the skewers extending through one end of the tofu. The other side should have a good length of skewer for holding onto while turning the tofu on the grill.
6. Place the tofu on the grill and cook on one side for about 4 minutes, basting with some of the reserved marinade. Turn and grill tofu for another 4 minutes, continuing to baste with reserved marinade. Remove tofu to a platter and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Sprinkle with scallions.
Per Serving (1/5 of recipe):
191 calories; 8.1 g fat; 1.2 g saturated fat; 35.7% calories from fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 15 6 g protein; 16.5 g carbohydrate; 4.3 g sugar; 5.7 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 112 mg calcium; 5.1 mg iron; 3.5 mg vitamin C; 84 mcg beta-carotene; 0.4 mg vitamin E