TOFU, ALGERIAN SPICY TOFU CHILI
Gary Null's Power Foods: The 15 Best Foods for Your Health
by Gary Null Ph.D.
Makes 4-6 Servings.
• 2 cups dried kidney beans
• 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 scallion, finely chopped
• 1½ small dried red chilies
• 10 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
• 1 tablespoon green bell pepper, minced
• 1 tablespoon curry powder
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 15 sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted and pureed for 1/2 cup tomato paste
• 1 tomato, coarsely chopped
• 3½ cups water or vegetable broth
• 1 pound firm tofu, diced in 1l/2-inch cubes
• pinch cayenne
• 2 teaspoons sea salt, to taste
• 1 cup arugula, chopped
• 5 fresh watercress sprigs, chopped
1. Soak the dried beans overnight in 32 ounces of water, covered. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onion and scallion, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6-8 minutes.
3. Add the chilies, garlic, paprika, black pepper, green pepper, curry powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the sun-dried tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the mixture thickens. Stir in the fresh tomato and 1 cup of the water or broth, and bring to a boil.
5. Add the beans, diced tofu, and the remaining 2½ cups water or broth, cayenne, and salt.
6. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the beans are tender, 1-2 hours.
7. Discard the chilies before serving. Stir in the arugula and watercress.
8. Serve warm.